Deeply rooted in Texas since 1936.
In 1936, Sun Employees Credit Union Number One was founded by John G. Pew for employees of Sun Oil Company, becoming the ninetieth state-chartered credit union in Texas. Originally located in downtown Dallas, it was an instant success. The first month, 117 employees joined, and at the end of 18 months, membership had grown to 1,131. Due to restricted membership, credit union growth was limited, so modifications were made in 1976 to allow retired employees to remain members and the board of directors voted to allow family members of company employees to join. With this policy change and the addition of a Sun Company mining subsidiary, membership rose to 5,500 by 1980.
In 1980, Sun Company separated from the credit union after 44 years of direct involvement. During the early 1980’s, the credit union introduced many improvements including member CD’s, high-interest cash management accounts, and IRA programs. Loan and dividend policies were changed in order to stabilize growth and development of new member services. In order to better serve the members, in 1988, the credit union relocated to a facility in Northpark and the name was shortened to Sun Credit Union.
The new office immediately enhanced member service because the credit union was for the first time, able to provide members cash transactions and checking services. Other service established during this period were: ATM access, an 800 phone line, electronic tax filing, direct deposit, and money orders. Then in 1990, the Gold MasterCard was introduced.
On January 1, 1991 the credit union’s name was changed to Oryx Credit Union to emphasize continuation of a 55 year association with the sponsor company. In June of the same year, the credit union moved to its North Dallas location at the Galleria Tower. Upon realization that Oryx Energy was slowly downsizing, the credit union made another name change and in 1995 became Galleria Credit Union. This decision, once again, helped to increase membership potential. One final name change to Prestige Community Credit Union was implemented on September 1, 2008 to emphasize the credit union’s North Dallas (Addison area) community charter and prepare the credit union for growth outside the Galleria.
Today, Prestige Community Credit Union is located at 15203 Knoll Trail Suite 101, Dallas, TX 75248, and has assets of $75 million with over 7,000 members nationwide. We continue to strive to provide quality member service and look forward to a future of positive growth and change.
To learn how you can become a member of Prestige Credit Union, click here.